10 months agoReal Madrid goalkeeper Courtois blasts Simeone: He does it to be popular

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid goalkeeper Courtois blasts Simeone: He does it to be popularby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has hit out at his former Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone.Simeone questioned Courtois’ Goalkeeper of the Year award won last month, citing that he played better for Atletico but won no such recognition with them.Following Madrid’s narrow win over Rayo Vallecano, Courtois responded: “Simeone criticises Madrid so as to be popular with his fans. “He always does it, attacks Madrid for being the best in the world.”Real teammate Luka Modric also stated: “I have great respect for Simeone and the players and supporters of a great club like Atletico, when they are victorious, we congratulate them sincerely, but it’s not fair that our successes are reduced to constant populist jibes.” last_img read more

Details

Video: Notre Dame WR Corey Holmes Working Out With Ex-NFL Star Chad Johnson

first_imgNotre Dame wide receiver Corey Holmes speaks to camera.Corey Holmes OchocincoNotre Dame wide receiver Corey Holmes has yet to record a catch in his first two seasons in South Bend, but could be a contributor this fall after the departure of Will Fuller, Chris Brown and Amir Carlisle. To prepare for this year, Holmes is working out back in Florida with former NFL star Chad Johnson. Johnson posted video of the two of them today. The kid @coreyholmes4 out here pic.twitter.com/YEl7ukHeUs— Chad Johnson (@ochocinco) May 19, 2016There are worse guys to train with. Johnson had seven 1,000-yard seasons in his 11-year professional career.last_img read more

Details

Australian man survives falling from train being struck by cars in BC

REVELSTOKE, B.C. – An Austalian man underwent full and partial limb amputations after falling from a train in Revelstoke, B.C.RCMP say they responded to reports of a trespasser on the CP Rail tracks at about 4:30 a.m. Saturday morning.They say the 25-year-old man had serious injuries and was under the influence of alcohol but was still conscious and able to provide basic information to the officer at the scene.They say he spoke of riding the train and appeared to have fallen off and been struck by other train cars.He was transported to hospital and underwent the amputations.RCMP are reminding the public to use caution when crossing railway tracks and say that trespassing on trains is a criminal offence. read more

Details

Squamish RV park feud heating up

first_imgAPTN National NewsA man arrested after the Squamish First Nation seized control of his family’s business, is now claiming that the band council is acting out of personal interest.APTN National News reporter Rob Smith has the story from Vancouver.last_img

Details

Trump says he wont let right to bear arms be under siege

first_imgDALLAS – Months after the horror of the Parkland school shootings in Florida, President Donald Trump stood before cheering members of the National Rifle Association and urged them to elect more Republicans to Congress to defend gun rights.Trump claimed that Democrats want to “outlaw guns” and said if the nation takes that drastic step, it might as well ban all vans and trucks because they are the new weapons for “maniac terrorists.”“We will never give up our freedom. We will live free and we will die free,” Trump said Friday as he tried to rally pro-gun voters for the 2018 congressional elections. “We’ve got to do great in ’18.”Activists energized by shootings at schools, churches and elsewhere are also focused on those elections.In the aftermath of the February school shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which left 17 dead and many more wounded, Trump had temporarily strayed from gun rights dogma.During a televised gun meeting with lawmakers in late February, he wagged his finger at a Republican senator and scolded him for being “afraid of the NRA,” declaring that he would stand up to the group and finally get results in quelling gun violence. But he later backpedaled on that tough talk.He was clearly back in the fold at the NRA’s annual convention, pledging that Americans’ Second Amendment right to bear arms will “never ever be under siege as long as I am your president.”Trump briefly referenced the Parkland shootings in his speech, saying that he “mourned for the victims and their families” and noting that he signed a spending bill that included provisions to strengthen the federal background check system for gun purchases as well as add money to improve school safety.He also repeated his strong support for “letting highly trained teachers carry concealed weapons.”Trump’s speech in Dallas was his fourth consecutive appearance at the NRA’s annual convention. His gun comments were woven into a campaign-style speech that touched on the Russia probe, the 2016 campaign, his efforts in North Korea and Iran and his fight against illegal immigration.In strikingly personal criticism of members of Congress, he decried what he said were terribly weak immigration laws, declaring, “We have laws that were written by people that truly could not love our country.”While the president veered wildly off topic at times — speaking about entertainer Kanye West’s recent support and former Secretary of State John Kerry’s bicycle accident three years ago — he repeatedly returned to the message of the day: his support for the Second Amendment.Trump said some political advisers had told him attending the NRA convention might be controversial, but, “You know what I said? ‘Bye, bye, gotta get on the plane.’”Trump has long enjoyed strong backing from the NRA, which spent about $30 million in support of his presidential campaign. He was introduced by Vice-President Mike Pence, who pointed to his own support for gun rights and accused the news media of failing to tell “the whole story” that “firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens” make communities safer.One of the Parkland student survivors, David Hogg, criticized Trump’s appearance in advance.“It’s kind of hypocritical of him to go there after saying so many politicians bow to the NRA and are owned by them,” Hogg said. “It proves that his heart and his wallet are in the same place.”Back in February, Trump had praised members of the gun lobby as “great patriots” but declared “that doesn’t mean we have to agree on everything. It doesn’t make sense that I have to wait until I’m 21 to get a handgun, but I can get this weapon at 18.” He was referring to the AR-15 the Parkland shooting suspect is accused of using.Those words rattled some Republicans in Congress and sparked hope among gun-control advocates that, unlike after previous mass shootings, tougher regulations might be enacted.But after expressing interest in increasing the minimum age to purchase an assault weapon to 21, Trump later declared there was “not much political support” for that. He then pushed off the issue of age restrictions by assigning it to a commission.Gabrielle Giffords, the former Arizona congresswoman who was shot outside a grocery store during a constituent gathering in 2011, said Trump had “allowed his presidency to be hijacked by gun lobbyists and campaign dollars.” She said Trump had “ignored the pleas of young people demanding safer gun laws.”___Associated Press writer Ken Thomas in Washington contributed.last_img read more

Details

We are doing the right thing Protesters dig in at antipipeline camp

first_imgBURNABY, B.C. – Protesters at an anti-pipeline camp in Burnaby, B.C., say they are ready to defy an eviction notice handed out from the city.The City of Burnaby issued a 72-hour notice to those occupying “Camp Cloud” on Wednesday, but protesters said in a news release issued Friday that three days wasn’t enough time to comply with concerns raised over safety.The release says Camp Cloud will not be evicted and that the notice was wrongly issued, without adequate consideration of a recent court decision or consultation with camp residents.The B.C. Supreme Court ruled in March that both the camp and a nearby watch house could remain in place in response to a court injunction filed by Kinder Morgan Canada Ltd., the company behind the Trans Mountain expansion project.“We are doing the right thing, raising awareness about the collectively deadly impacts of the pipeline,” camp resident Elauna Boutwell said in the Friday release.Demonstrators are angry over the expansion of the pipeline between Alberta and B.C. that would triple its capacity to carry bitumen destined for export. In May, the federal government announced it would buy the pipeline in an effort to see the expansion completed.The city issued the eviction notice because there are concerns about safety and how the footprint of the site has grown to include a two-storey house and showers, city manager Lambert Chu has said.Chu said Friday the city is discussing legal options, but he wouldn’t say which options are on the table.“If the compliance order is not met, then we will take the appropriate actions within the rule of law … to proceed with removal of the illegal structures and facilities, because they have to go,” he said.The city hopes the campers will pack up on Saturday, but at the same time it respects their right to protest, said Chu.“We have to balance all these things. We don’t want to handle it in a very confrontational way.”City staff have been in contact with the protesters and as of Friday have set up a meeting with them, he added.Protesters say the evacuation notice has a list of demands, including removing their sacred ceremonial fire and all the dwellings they need in order to continue their work.“If we want fewer forest fires in the future due to global warming and fossil-fuelled climate destabilization, we need to protect this sacred fire and all that it represents,” the release said.The notice is set to expire Saturday morning, and instead of moving out, protesters say they’ll hold a news conference to relay their side of the story.Companies in this story: (TSX:KML)last_img read more

Details

Clearing and debris management underway at Site C Project areas

first_imgBurning is expected to take place in the following areas over several months this winter and spring when venting windows are available:Along the Highway 29 realignment area at Halfway River.Along the reservoir on both banks of the Peace River: Moberly River drainage area; lower and eastern reservoir areas (from the dam site to Cache Creek); middle reservoir area (from Cache Creek to Halfway River).At sections of the 75-kilometre transmission line right-of-way between the Site C dam site and the Peace Canyon Dam.At the Portage Mountain and West Pine quarries.Burning takes place during weather periods known as venting windows. These are periods with the right weather conditions to disperse smoke, as set by the Ministry of Environment.More information can be found on the Site C Project’s website. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – B.C. Hydro has announced that clearing and debris management is underway in various Site C project areas.B.C. Hydro says good quality wood will be sent to local mills, while the debris will either be mulched, chipped, or burned on site.“Merchantable trees of sufficient size, quality and volume that are suitable for harvest will be hauled to local mills. The remaining wood waste may be chipped, mulched, spread as coarse woody debris or burned on site.”last_img read more

Details

Fatalities in dengue due to improper treatment dont panic over falling platelet

first_imgKolkata: Senior officials of the state Health department on Saturday attributed fatalities in dengue due to wrong treatment and made it clear that there is nothing to panic over fall in platelet count when somebody is affected with the vector-borne disease. The message from the state Health department was delivered during a workshop on prevention and control of the vector-borne disease organised by the Kolkata Municipal Corporation’s Health department at Rabindra Sadan. Also Read – Centuries-old Durga Pujas continue to be hit among revellers”The platelet count of people in South-East Asia is normally a bit low than in other parts of the world. There is nothing to panic over platelet count when a patient is affected with dengue. Administering platelet to raise the count of a dengue patient in an indiscriminate manner may result in development of other serious complications in the patient,” said Pradip Mitra, director of Medical Education, state Health department. Doctor Bibhuti Saha of the School of Tropical Medicine (STM) reiterated that a dengue patient should not be administered platelet until his/her count falls below 10,000 and there is major bleeding from nose or other body parts. “We strictly adhere to this practice at our critical care unit at STM and doctors should remember that administration of platelet is required only for a few patients with dengue,” he asserted. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaDeputy Mayor of KMC Atin Ghosh said sustained awareness drives have brought down dengue cases in the city and some deaths took place because of improper treatment. “Many doctors and nurses of private hospitals lack training and do not abide by the protocol of the World Health Organisation in treating dengue,” he added. State Director of Health Services Ajay Chakraborty cautioned the health establishments treating dengue patients to be very careful and vigilant for at least two days even when fever of a patient goes down. “These two days after the remission of fever is extremely critical. Registering saline in a customised manner and monitoring of blood pressure, urine, pulse rate and respiration of the patient every four hours is very much necessary,” Chakraborty said. He added that the state Health department has already circulated a treatment protocol on its website and has commenced training of doctors and nurses to handle dengue patients in an efficient manner. “Our main focus will be to ensure that there is not a single death due to dengue as we believe that it is not at all a fatal disease,” he maintained.last_img read more

Details

No end of tunnel for HFCs FY20 looks as difficult as FY19

first_imgMumbai: The liquidity crisis has crimped credit growth for housing finance companies (HFCs) and is unlikely to improve much in FY20, even as the weak external environment will put a pressure on asset quality, warns a report. HFCs are expected to report a 13-15 percent credit growth in FY19, which will inch up to 14-16 percent in next fiscal year, ratings agency Icra has said in a weekend report. Aggravating the difficulties will be a likely pressure on the asset quality front due to the weak operating environment, it warned. “Discussions with some HFCs reveals that their stock of repossessed assets has also increased, due to the lower saleability of those assets leading to an elongated recovery time,” it explained. Gross non-performing assets (NPAs) of the home loan segment will increase to up to 1.3 per cent in the medium term from the present 1 per cent levels, it said. If we include project loans, their overall NPAs will shoot up to 1.8 per cent in the medium term from the present 1.4 percent, it said. The ongoing troubles will result in a narrowing of margins and accordingly, a moderation of profit levels to 14 per cent levels in FY19 from 18 per cent in the year-ago period, it said, adding it expects bottomline to be at the same levels in FY20 as well. It can be noted that the mortgage finance sector has been considered as one of the safest bets for financiers in the last few years, as the segment has been largely resilient. The agency said key factors to monitor from a credit quality perspective arehome loans extended to borrowers where the underlying projects have been significantly delayed and under-construction properties sold by builders under subvention schemes or buyback/assured return schemes, its vice-president Supreeta Nijjar said. Following the September 2018 liquidity crisis triggered by the bankruptcy of IL&FS, with a slowdown in the HFCs’ credit growth, banks have been quick to seize the opportunity, the agency said. The housing loans portfolio for HFCs and other shadow banking lenders came down to 13 percent from 18 percent in the year-ago period, while the overall housing credit outstanding growth also narrowed down to 16 percent from 18 percent, it said. HFCs are resorting to curbing their disbursements and also portfolio sell-downs to meet their funding requirements following the liquidity squeeze, it said. It can be noted that the events following the defaults started by infra lender IL&FS in August last year have resulted in a liquidity crisis for the NBFCs segment. While the squeeze has subsided, players complain about high cost of funds. Experts attribute the troubles at the NBFCs to asset liability mismatch, where short term borrowings are used to fund long term assets. The rating agency said most HFCs have started strengthening their liquidity buffers to meet any sudden market disruptions and near-term debt obligations. It said the proposed National Housing Bank amendments in capital adequacy, deposit mobilisation and leverage norms are positives for HFCs.last_img read more

Details

New list for Delhi candidates not because centre unhappy says BJP

first_imgNew Delhi: Senior party leaders of Delhi BJP on Tuesday said that they are working on a new list of probable candidates to send to the party High Command. This comes after some members of the central leadership reportedly sent back the first list sent by the BJP state election committee on Friday last, which proposed 21 probable candidates for the seven seats in the Capital city.Sources familiar with developments within the state unit have confirmed that out of 15 members of the state election committee, 12 have listed themselves as probable candidates. This includes all seven sitting MPs, three party general secretaries, Rajya Sabha MP Vijay Goel, and LoP in Delhi Assembly Vijender Gupta. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderHowever, when asked about why the central leaders might have asked to rework the list, Delhi BJP President Manoj Tiwari denied that any such list had been prepared or sent to the central unit of the party as of yet. He said that the state election committee is still shortlisting the probable candidates for recommendation. Moreover, BJP spokesperson Harish Khurana denied reports of the party High Command being unhappy with the state leadership’s list. He said that the central leadership is not disappointed with the list. “In fact, they have just asked for a more succint list from the state election committee,” Also Read – Two brothers held for snatchingshe said. Defending these party members, Delhi BJP spokesperson, Ashish Sood said, “All party members have a right to claim a ticket in the Lok Sabha elections and they just seem to have exercised that right.” Speaking to the Millennium Post, Delhi BJP leader Sood added that this move by the central leadership is probably being made so that they can consider all possible names that could help the party win in the upcoming polls. “More than individual candidates, it is important to make sure the party gets elected again,” he said.last_img read more

Details

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

    Archives

    Categories

    Meta

    Tags