Very Light Rail vehicle prototype under construction

first_imgThe prototype vehicle has been designed by WMG and Transport Design International, with a target of achieving a mass not exceeding 1 tonne per linear metre. It will have a capacity of 56 passengers.Testing is scheduled to start early next year at the VLR National Innovation Centre which being developed in Dudley. It is envisaged that this would then be followed by passenger operation of production vehicles on a proposed line to be built in Coventry.‘The Coventry Very Light Rail project will deliver a step change cost reduction for light rail in the UK’, said WMG Associate Professor Dr Darren Hughes on August 28. ‘We are really proud that this marks the beginning of the journey to roll out low cost, rail-based transport for medium sized cities in the UK.’NP Aerospace CEO James Kempston said assembly of the prototype ‘utilises NP Aerospace’s capability in assembling and delivering complex defence vehicle programmes and extends this into the rail and transportation sector’.Coventry routeThe proposed line in Coventry would run 8 km from the railway station via the city centre to Walsgrave Hospital, with around 80% of the route operating in mixed traffic. Services would be operated using a fleet of production vehicles, with consultancy WSP having forecast ridership at up to 9 million passenger-journeys a year.#*#*Show Fullscreen*#*# UK: A prototype battery-powered carbon fibre and metal Very Light Rail vehicle is under construction at NP Aerospace’s plant at Foleshill in Coventry.The VLR project to develop low-cost technologies which would make light rail a viable option for medium sized cities is being managed by the Warwick Manufacturing Group at the University of Warwick, in partnership with Coventry City Council and Transport for West Midlands.#*#*Show Fullscreen*#*# Work is also underway to develop affordable trackform that could be installed quickly and cheaply, and which could also be easily removed to allow access for utility maintenance.Engineers from the University of Warwick are working on the track design with Coventry City Council, French civil engineering company Ingerop Conseil et Ingénierie and its UK subsidiary Rendel.‘This project will be the first of its kind in the world’, said Cllr Jim O’Boyle, Cabinet member for Jobs & Regeneration at Coventry City Council. ‘It is being led by world beating local automotive experience and is using cutting-edge materials. The proposed VLR network is key to our vision for transport here in Coventry. We want our public transport to be efficient, affordable and most importantly environmentally friendly. I believe it’s going to revolutionise how we all travel in this city.’A separate initiative to develop a lightweight diesel rail car for operation on heavy rail lines is being undertaken by the Revolution VLR consortium of WMG, Transport Design International, Eversholt, Cummins, Prose, Transcal Engineering and RDM Group.The VLR project was described in detail in the Spring 2020 issue of Metro Report International magazine.last_img read more

Details

Veteran Suzuki ends title drought

first_img IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 The 43 year-old’s eighth career win netted him ¥30 million in prize money from the ¥150 million purse.“It was a long day today. I thought I played well under pressure,” said Suzuki.“I thought I would cry if I won but I can’t. Maybe that is a sign that I have not suffered enough hardship,” he joked.Teenage star Ryo Ishikawa, last year’s ABC winner, could only muster a 73 and finished eight shots behind Suzuki in a tie for sixth with Kazuhiro Yamashita (69). GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMEScenter_img KATO, Hyogo Pref. – Tour veteran Toru Suzuki ended a five-year title drought on Sunday with a commanding five-shot victory at the Mynavi ABC Championship.Suzuki, who began the day with a five-stroke cushion, mixed four birdies with three bogeys in a 1-under 71 at ABC Golf Club to claim his first win since the 2004 Acom International on 14-under 274.last_img read more

Details

Conte kept his nerves and raged. Veteran Banega provoked him…

first_imgThe 18th minute of the final of the European League ran, the score was already 1: 1. According to the Milan players, one of the defending players played in the lime with his hands and demanded penalties. Coach Conte also protested a lot and saw the yellow card.But according to Sky Sports Italia, another thing drove him crazy. Cheeky remark of a 32-year-old midfielder. “We’ll see if the hair is real or if it’s a wig,” he said from Italian sources as he walked past the Inter inverter.Things got HEATED between Ever Banega and Antonio Conte 😳The Sevilla player appeared to make fun of Conte’s hair…Conte said “I’ll see you after the game!” 👀#Club2020 pic.twitter.com/PxAdcssGZa— Football on BT Sport #Club2020 (@btsportfootball) August 21, 2020In an exchange with former Chelsea coach, he ran his hand over his hair several times. “I’ll see you after the match,” responded the raging Conte, who had to be reassured by colleagues from the bench and head referee Danny Makkelie. He gave the Italian coach a yellow for his words to Baneg.Banega has played almost 250 competitive matches for Seville since his arrival in 2014. He is now heading to Saudi Arabia, where he will play for Al-Shabab. The Argentine is a well-known troublemaker who became involved in an internet sex scandal and allegedly arrived in Valencia training in 2012 before an important match against Barcelona drunk.Conte has undergone hair transplants in the past, and José Mourinho, for example, used to have unflattering remarks about his appearance. Conte had previously criticized his tenure at Manchester United.While Banega finally celebrated victory in the European League final, Conte was gripped by clouds. He admitted that he could leave Inter in the summer. “We will have a session at the club next week and decide on my future,” he said. “I am not sure that I will train in Milan next season. We will decide together,” he added. According to Italian media, he could be replaced by Massimiliano Allegri.Summary of the match Leipzig – Paris Saint-Germain in the semifinals of LM:last_img read more

Details

Wellington squanders impressive defensive effort with 23-7 loss against Mulvane

first_imgby Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — There’s something about Mulvane.Wellington fell to Mulvane 23-7. Not to be a homer, but that score is a bit misleading. It should have been closer.In the end, Wellington had just 15 less offensive yards than Mulvane 182 to 167. Take away two long runs by running sensation Cole Diffenbaugh of 51 and 31, the Dukes outpaced Mulvane 167 to 100. It was a good defensive effort for the Crusaders, and Wellington won this game in the trenches.Wellington lost this game with undisciplined mistakes. The special teams, which have been so good all season, made two costly mistakes on long snaps that gift wrapped Mulvane two scores and 9 points.As a result, Wellington is now traveling to Buhler, a much formidable opponent than Winfield, a team the Crusaders beat last week. El Dorado leap frogged Wellington in the standings for the No. 13 seed with a 10-6 loss to Augusta.Wellington’s offense, which has battled inconsistency all season, saw a good dose of it Friday night. Any time Wellington had successfully moved the ball, something bad would happen like a turnover, a botched field goal attempt, or a miserable penalty.Wellington couldn’t get anything to click. For example, on this play in the second quarter, receiver Silas Popplewell was wide open without a defender 10 yards from him. He went unnoticed.“In order to win you have to be good in three phases of the game,” said Zane Aquilar, Wellington head coach. “We were good in only one of them tonight and you can guess which two we weren’t good at.”The penalties were just terrible for Wellington, which were assessed seven of them for 75 yards. Mulvane had 60 yards as well. Longtime football fans may have experienced a first when officials called a pass interference on both teams on the same play.Wellington and Mulvane played a slugfest and were scoreless in the first. The Crusaders recovered a fumble after Mulvane drove into enemy territory. Gage Cunningham had two of them. His second typified the kind of evening Wellington was having he had 70 yards of open space but couldn’t get a handle on the football. Wellington would recover but remained in its own territory.The next four plays defined the game. Wellington would recover its own fumble on a botched reverse play for a 12-yard loss. It then stalled on a 1-yard run. Quarterback Berkeley Wright was sacked. That resulted in a punt deep in its territory which was blocked. Mulvane led 7-0.On the next sequence, Diffenbaugh got open on the first of his two long runs and scored from the 31 to make it 14-0.Still, Wellington fought back and drove deep into enemy territory to the Mulvane 11 with a first down. But the drive stalled and a missed field goal ended with Wellington down 14-0.The Crusader offense found some groove in the third quarter with counter runs by Trace Rusk, who had 92 yards on 28 carries for the night. But a nice pass on third down and long from Wright to Travese Love ended in disaster after the receiver fumbled the ball after gaining 12 yards.Time was getting away from the Dukes. With 3:45 to play, Wellington was still down 14-0 and had to punt again deep in its territory. A high snap led to a disastrous safety. Mulvane was up 16-0, and had the ball.Diffenbaugh then would split around the corner and take off for a 54-yard touchdown.Wellington finally found success offensively, when Zander Vargas came in relief as quarterback after Wright was dinged. He engineered a drive that ended with 16-yard touchdown reception to Austin Soles.Follow us on Facebook.Follow us on Twitter.last_img read more

Details