“I believe in the future of Downtown Los Angeles”: Silverstein closes US Bank Tower buy

first_imgContact Kevin Sun Full Name* This content is for subscribers only.Subscribe Now Email Address*center_img Message* OUE Limited executive chairman and CEO Stephen Riady and Silverstein Properties’ Larry Silverstein, with US Bank Tower at 633 West Fifth Street (Credit: Spencer Platt/Getty Images, and Wikipedia)Silverstein Properties closed on its $430 million deal to buy US Bank Tower, an iconic Downtown Los Angeles property whose purchase price was far below initial expectations.New York-based Silverstein made the announcement on Wednesday. The company was first confirmed to be the buyer of the 73-story trophy office tower in July.In a statement, chairman Larry Silverstein said: “I believe in the future of Downtown Los Angeles.”He added that over the last few years, DTLA “has started to transform into a 24/7 community, with new residential buildings, restaurants, and bars — much like Lower Manhattan in the years after 9/11.”The seller was Singapore-based investment management firm OUE Limited, which had put the 1.4 million-square-foot property on the market in early 2019.OUE had acquired the property for $367.5 million in 2013, and valued it at about $633 million in its latest annual report. The sales price reflects the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, the seller noted in July.Silverstein is planning comprehensive capital improvements to the property “to provide building tenants with a creative office campus in a vertical urban environment.” The company is also launching “INSPIRE, its hospitality-focused tenant experience program and mobile app designed to help tenants get the most out of their workday.”According to previous disclosures to the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange, Silverstein plans to finance about 55 percent of its US Bank Tower acquisition and capital improvement costs with a three-year loan at an interest rate of Libor plus 3.4 percent, with two one-year extension options. No specific lender was named.Read moreSilverstein Properties confirmed as buyer of US Bank TowerDowntown’s US Bank Tower in contract to sell for $430MUS Bank Tower in Downtown lists for salelast_img read more

Details

WHO: Sick health workers were exposed to coronavirus patients

first_imgMay 15, 2013 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed today that two healthcare workers in Saudi Arabia who are sick with the novel coronavirus (nCoV) had been exposed to infected patients, marking the first time the virus apparently followed that pathway.The two health workers, whose cases were first announced yesterday by the Saudi government, are a 45-year-old man in critical condition and a 43-year-old woman in stable condition, the WHO said.The two cases increase the size of a hospital-centered nCoV cluster in the country to 21 illnesses, with 9 deaths, the WHO reported. Media reports have tied the cluster to the Al Moosa General Hospital in Hofuf, Eastern province.”Although health care associated transmission has been observed before with nCoV (in Jordan in April 2012), this is the first time health care workers have been diagnosed with nCoV infection after exposure to patients,” the WHO said. “Health care facilities that provide care for patients with suspected nCoV infection should take appropriate measures to decrease the risk of transmission of the virus to other patients and health care workers.”The infected male health worker got sick on May 2, and the woman fell ill on May 8, the agency said. It also noted that the woman has a coexisting health condition, but didn’t say what it was.The statement did not give any details about the two workers’ roles, degree of contact with nCoV patients, use of infection prevention precautions, or whether they had contact with patients other than nCoV patients in the days before they fell ill.Another hospital case cluster emerged recently in France, where a patient tested positive for nCoV after sharing a hospital room with the country’s first case-patient in late April. News reports said a doctor and a nurse who had possible exposure to the first nCoV patient got sick and were tested for the virus, but only the roommate tested positive.The WHO’s count of nCoV cases stands at 40, with 20 deaths, the same numbers as reported in the media yesterday.In other developments, a panel of experts published its formal recommendation that nCoV be known henceforward as “Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV). The recommendation from the Coronavirus Study Group of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses was first reported in a ScienceInsider news story on May 6.So far the virus has been called by a variety of names. The study group, which includes researchers who discovered and characterized the virus, published its paper today in the Journal of Virology.The proposed name “is endorsed by the discoverers of the virus and other researchers that pioneered MERS-CoV studies, by the World Health Organization and by the Saudi Ministry of Health,” the article says. “We strongly recommend the use of this name in scientific and other publications.”Meanwhile, Arab News reported today that the Saudi government has hired US and Canadian experts to help battle the novel virus. The story didn’t identify the experts.And yesterday the Canadian Press reported that Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg has obtained a sample of nCoV and will use it to assess diagnostic tests being used in the country.Frank Plummer, PhD, scientific director of the lab, said the sample was obtained from Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, which first identified the virus last June in a sample from a Saudi man who had died of a mysterious illness, the story said.The Winnipeg lab has already made diagnostic tests by using the virus’s genetic sequence, but having an actual isolate will enable scientists to start developing a serologic test to look for evidence of past infection with the virus, Plummer said.See also: May 15 WHO statementMay 15 J Virol articleMay 6 CIDRAP News story noting recommended name for nCoVMay 15 Arab News storyMay 14 Canadian Press storylast_img read more

Details

Family justice manifesto calls for rethink on cuts

first_imgAn alliance of groups opposed to the government’s family legal aid cuts has published a Manifesto for Family Justice, urging MPs to reconsider the proposals. The groups are concerned about the impact that provisions in the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill removing legal aid for private law family cases will have on women, children, families and victims of domestic violence. They suggest that the change will cost more money than it saves and lead to poorer outcomes for the families involved. The manifesto has been published by the Association of Lawyers for Children, the Bar Council, Co-ordinated Action Against Domestic Abuse, the children’s commissioner, the Family Law Bar Association (FLBA), single parents charity Gingerbread, Liberty, the National Federation of Women’s Institutes, family lawyers group Resolution and Women’s Aid. It calls on the government to listen to the views of experienced family justice practitioners and to act to protect vulnerable children and domestic violence victims. The document has been sent to all MPs, prior to the LASPO bill entering its report stage and third reading in the House of Commons on 31 October. FLBA chair Stephen Cobb QC said: ‘We have come together as a broad cross-section of organisations deeply concerned by the consequences of the government’s proposals. ‘The prime minister stated that he wanted a family test for all domestic policy. Clearly nobody has applied that test to this bill. The civil legal aid cuts will be bad for children, bad for women and bad for families.’ Cobb said the cuts will create a ‘disturbing new landscape’ in which 600,000 people will no longer receive legal aid, 68,000 children will be affected by the removal of legal aid in family cases, 54,000 fewer people will be represented in the family courts annually and 75% of private family law cases will be left without legal aid. The government’s proposals would increase the number of people going to court without legal representation, resulting in ‘DIY justice, not access to justice’. Cobb said: ‘We face the very real prospect that many children and women who have been victims of domestic abuse will have to endure the further trauma of being cross-examined by their alleged perpetrator, who will not be eligible for legal aid.’ He added: ‘It is not too late for the government to change its approach. If it really has the interests of families in mind, then it has to think again.’ The manifesto can be read here. Join our LinkedIn Legal Aid sub-grouplast_img read more

Details

WWE Clash of Champions – Live Results!

first_img Related TopicsBrock LesnarCesaroJohn CenaKevin OwensNEO SportsRandy OrtonSeth RollinsThe SheildVince McMahonWWEWWE Network We are live tonight from the Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis Indiana for the WWE Networks“Clash of Champions 2016” presented by the RAW brand.Stay locked into NEO Sports all night for live results.Kickoff Match: Alicia Fox vs. Nia Jax In absolutely no surprise, Nia Jax rolls over Alicia Fox to continue her dominant win streak since coming to the main roster. The result was never in question, but at least it was a step up in competition for Jax.The main card now begins. With only 7 listed matches, expect them all to get a large amount of ring time and time to work. That is usually a good recipe for quality matches.The New Day (Big E and Kofi Kingston) (c) (with Xavier Woods) defeated Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson to retain their title.This was upset city in my book, but one I’m glad to see happen. The New Day is over, and the “Bullett Club” seems to be struggling as of late. The tag title reign is over a year long, it should be very interesting to see how long creative continues to let this one go and not get in their own way as usual.Up next we have – TJ Perkins (c) vs. THE Brian Kendrick for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship After a great match with no shortage of action, Perkins gets Kendrick in the knee bar and Kendrick taps out. After the match would have a little bit of drama as Kendrick and Perkins shake hands until suddenly Kendrick headbutt’s Perkins and leaves the ring to a chorus of boo’s. We have not seen the last of this rivalry. It is now time for match Seven in the Best of Seven between Shameus and CesaroComing into this one, they have had six stellar matches, some people have said it reminds them of the 7 match classic Chris Beniot and Booker T had back in WCW during the 1998 Summer.This match between Cesaro and The Celtic Warrior was actually better than the first Six combined. Except for the ending, which ended up being a draw. Also, exactly like the Booker T Beniot Saga of 98. The WWE has really worked hard to get both of these men over with the fans after a few years of just letting them hang out there for a bit.Expect match eight to deliver when it happens.Still not sure about this match, Chris Jericho vs Sami Zayn. I thought the purpose of Jericho was to get the cruiserweights over, Zayn is a tweener if there ever was one.Whatever the case may be, the WWE keeps Zayn as their lovable loser as Jericho wins again!The WWE Women’s division continues to put on 5 star quality matches. The turn of Dana Brooks against Charlotte did not occur, thus the Nature Girl was able to retain the strap over Bailey and Sasha Banks in another sure fire classic. The women’s division remains in good hands with these three, also the emerging Nia Jax on the horizon.Despite going against a foreigner who would typically garner the majority of the boo’s, Roman Reigns once again is fielding the boo’s as he enters the ring to take on Rusev up next.Apparently the punishment for Reigns is over, as Lana gets tossed and Roman wins cleanly to capture the United States Championship. I didn’t see this one coming. Interesting turn of events, not sure why?Main Event TimeSeth Rollins fights hard, but comes up short as Kevin Owens takes advantage of the Chris Jericho distraction to hit the Pop Up Powerbomb to retain the title. It was good match, a great pay pew view, but the ending was flat.Tomorrow night should be interesting.1 point of interest, no Enzo & Cass tonight? Instead, Jericho and Zayn, strange choice…. Vince McKeelast_img read more

Details