Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan is the new leader of the Congress of the People party in Trinidad and Tobago Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan is the new leader of the Congress of the People party in Trinidad and Tobago Congress of the People Former government minister Carolyn Seepersad-Bachan was on Sunday night declared the winner of the opposition Congress of the People (COP) election. The party was part of a coalition government in Trinidad and Tobago during the 2010-15 period.Seepersad-Bachan urged disenchanted, angry and fragmented supporters to come return to the fold and help rebuild the party that at one stage had been seen as a credible alternative to the two main political parties here – the ruling People’s National Movement and the main opposition United National Congress (UNC).Inviting people to return to the party“I am today inviting all to come back to the party, whatever the differences were… differences in opinions. For many of those who felt that we did not get it right…let us get it right. And we can get it right. We must learn to agree to disagree. Not everything I say will be agreeable by all.The COP, which was co-founded by former finance minister Winston Dookeran, had formed part of the coalition People’s Partnership government of Kamla Persad Bissessar, but the party failed to win a seat in the 2015 general election amid widespread dissatisfaction of its role in the coalition.Hasn’t ruled out another coalitionSeepersad-Bachan has not ruled out a possible coalition in the future but insisted that there must also be a right formula.An estimated 40,000 members were eligible to vote during Sunday’s election with the party using an online system allowing members to vote at any polling station across the country.
237 Views one comment Sharing is caring! Tweet Share Share Share Football in Dominica is expected to gain momentum upon construction of the island’s first state of the art small goal facility. The facility, which will be named ‘Football Galore’ and is being constructed at Canefield behind Auto Trade’s compound, is the brain child of veteran businessman Karl Nassief. It will comprise of three miniature fields, a viewing deck, washroom facility, club house for members to view games and a restaurant. It costs in the region of four hundred to six hundred thousand dollars and is expected to officially open on 1 August 2015. Manager of the Football Galore facility, Jessie Bardouille told Dominica Vibes on Thursday 2 July 2015, that the new business venture will boost sports in Dominica. “It will be a membership based business where you will have to pay ninety dollars a year to become a member and the fields will be rented at different rates; we have daily rates of sixty- five dollars and nightly rates for eighty-five dollars an hour,” he said. Bardouille said the three miniature fields will accommodate six vs six, five vs five and three vs three competitions. He stated that one of the reasons for the construction of the facility is address some of the conditions that sportsmen and women are faced with on various fields. “We will be organizing tournaments as well as well as leagues for different ages and also for companies, we will have a corporate league and we will have minicamp training sessions for the young and old football lovers,” he noted. Bardouille is already boasting that the facility which is the first of its kind for Dominica will encourage more young people into the sport of football. “This will be the best field on island, it is synthetic grass, it is FIFA certified grass, the drainage is excellent, there is no mud, and there are no stones. It is a nice setting where you can come with your friends and family, your kids and something that is totally different than we are accustomed to as sports people in Dominica,” he said. According to Bardouille, within the first month of the facility’s opening in August, there will be a weekend tournament “to boost excitement, to boost membership” as well as a league which will run from September to the middle of October. LocalNewsSports ‘Football Galore’ facility to open next month by: Dominica Vibes News – July 3, 2015
GILAS Pilipinas newcomer Troy Rike could not contain his excitement after being tapped as part of the 15-man national team pool for the third window of the 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers.The 6-foot-7 forward from Wake Forest University said he is honored to join the teams composed mostly of PBA players as this will be an opportunity from him to learn from the veterans.“It’s an honor to be here, just be around the team and learn from the veterans and take this first step to hopefully representing the country,” Rike said in an interview with ESPN5. “When I found out that it was actually going to happen, it was amazing.”“Obviously, it’s the things on the court. These guys have international experience and professional experience. Any little things I can learn from them will be really helpful for me going forward,” he added. Since coming over to Manila last month, Rike has been a fixture in national team’s practices. The Filipino-American forward even joined the Gilas Cadet in Filoil Flying V Preseason Cup recently.“It’s always been a dream of mine to play here and play with a bunch of talented players and experience the Gilas program,” said Rike. “It’s all happening so fast, I’ve only been here for a month but I can’t stop. I’m ready to go.”The 22-year-old Rike was called up as part of Gilas Pilipinas shortlist of head coach Vincent “Chot” Reyes for 2023 FIBA World Cup that the Philippines will be co-hosting with Japan and Indonesia.***Barangay Ginebra San Miguel Kings spitfire LA Tenorio’s all-around game is one of the biggest reasons why his team is on a roll heading into the final stretch of the PBA Commissioner’s Cup elimination round.The former Gilas Pilipinas guard averaged 14 points, 6.5 assists, 4.0 rebounds and 4.0 steals in leading Kings to a pair of blowout wins over the Columbian Dyip and the Alaska Aces, respectively last week.The impressive showing made the former Ateneo Blue Eagles guard an easy choice for the Cignal-PBA Press Corps Player of the Week award for the period of June 18-24.The 33-year-old Tenorio fired 16 points, issued 10 assists, grabbed three rebounds and added the same number of steals as the Kings hammered the Dyip, 133-104 on Wednesday.Four days later, Tenorio churned out 12 points, five rebounds, five steals and three assists as the Kings humbled the Aces, 105-86.The 5-10 guard beat teammate Japeth Aguilar, San Miguel Beer’s June Mar Fajardo and Marcio Lassiter, Phoenix wingman Matthew Wright, Rain or Shine guard Maverick Ahanmisi and TNT’s Troy Rosario for the weekly citation.The Kings, which has won its last four games overall to improve to 5-5 win-loss slate, won’t be back in action until July 6 where it will face GlobalPort Batang Pier at the Cuneta Astrodome in Pasay City./PN