The court found that such rules could have an effect on competition but that the IOC’s rules were not excessive for what was necessary to ensure that sporting events could be conducted fairly. The decision established that sport was covered by EU competition law and internal market rules but that some restrictions were acceptable provided they were proportionate to the objective that they were designed to achieve. UEFA’s Gaillard calls the Meca-Medina case ruling “absurd” as the court had to adjudicate on what constituted an appropriate level of nandrolone. He says that unless the unique nature of sport is protected through clearer treaty language, the European model of sport is threatened. “If sports rules are being judged only on economic merits, the Court of Justice could say that 11 players is an artificial obstacle to competition,” Gaillard says. Another important case which will have a further effect on professional sports has been brought before the ECJ by Royal Charleroi, a football club in Belgium’s first division, which demanded compensation for club players who are injured when playing for their national teams. The case is supported by the G14 group of leading European football clubs. The case is not expected to be heard until next year at the earliest but it could set tough conditions which would have important ramifications across European sport. There are also clashes between clubs and the national side in rugby with some teams reluctant to release their star players for national matches. William Gaillard of UEFA, European football’s governing body, says that sport is “at the mercy of the Court of Justice” because the courts treat sport like a business. One of the first landmark rulings was the 1995 decision to uphold a complaint by Marc Bosman, a player from Belgium’s second division, against restrictions on players leaving clubs before their contracts expired. The decision gave players more freedom to move, but also deprived some smaller clubs of income from transfer fees. While the change has had some effect on clubs’ finances, the consequences are considered to be relatively small compared to the massive injection of cash into football from selling broadcasting rights. In 2006 the ECJ clarified how sport should be treated under EU competition and internal market law with an important ruling in the Meca-Medina case. Two swimmers had been suspended from competing for two years by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) after testing positive for nandrolone, an anabolic substance. The two brought a complaint before the court on the grounds that the IOC’s rules on doping were not compatible with the EU’s rules on the freedom to provide services.
AMC to offer 15-cent tickets on first day of reopening Movie theaters, other entertainment businesses reopen in SWFL The nation’s largest movie theater chain changed its position on mask-wearing less than a day after the company became a target on social media for saying it would defer to local governments on the issue.AMC Theaters CEO Adam Aron said Friday that its theaters will require patrons to wear masks upon reopening, which will begin in mid-July. Customers who don’t wear masks won’t be admitted or allowed to stay.“We think it is absolutely crucial that we listen to our guests,” Aron said. “It is clear from this response that we did not go far enough on the usage of masks.”Rival chain Regal followed AMC’s lead. Spokesman Richard Grover said Friday that moviegoers must wear masks in all its theaters as well.AMC Theaters wasn’t the first to say it would defer to officials on the mask issue. That policy was identical to what Cinemark announced earlier this month. Cineplex Inc., which has a 75% box office market share in Canada, said they will leave it up to moviegoers to decide if they wear a face mask inside their theaters. Company spokeswoman Sarah Van Lange said they are taking the lead from public health authorities and provincial guidelines. She said employees will be required to wear masks.Most major retailers require masks for customers only where local rules mandate it.But the AMC plan hit a nerve for many on Thursday and #boycottAMC quickly became a trending topic on Twitter.The outrage was further flamed by one of Aron’s comments in an interview with the Hollywood trade Variety that implied that taking a hard stance on mask-wearing was a political matter.“We did not want to be drawn into a political controversy,” Aron said. “We thought it might be counterproductive if we forced mask-wearing on those people who believe strongly that it is not necessary.”He also said that he thought the “vast majority of AMC guests will be wearing masks” and that he planned to lead by example and would be wearing a mask himself.The interview came on the same day that California started requiring people throughout the state to wear masks in most indoor settings and outdoors when distancing isn’t possible.While public health officials say wearing a mask is important in helping stop the spread of COVID-19, not wearing one has become a political statement for people who say it violates their freedom or exaggerates the threat of the coronavirus. President Donald Trump has pushed back against masks, even as the virus has killed more than 100,000 Americans this year.Earlier Friday, Alamo Drafthouse, which operates around 40 locations in the U.S. said that it would be requiring that guests wear masks at its theaters, with a caveat for eating and drinking. Those without masks, it said, would be given one. AMC plans to sell masks for $1.Most indoor U.S. theaters have been closed since mid-March because of COVID-19. But both independent locations and major chains are readying to reopen within the next month.AMC said it will open 450 of its U.S. locations on July 15, with the goal of having most of its theaters in operation by July 24 for the opening of Disney’s “Mulan” and Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet” the following week.—AP Business Writer Tali Arbel contributed from New York. Robert Gillies contributed from Toronto. Published: June 19, 2020 7:19 PM EDT Updated: June 19, 2020 7:24 PM EDT Recommended Author: LINDSEY BAHR / AP Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. SHARE NEW YORK (AP) AMC enforces a new mask wearing policy
704Games, developer of NASCAR video game NASCAR Heat 3, the Race Team Alliance and NASCAR has announced plans for the inaugural eNASCAR Heat Pro League. The event will take place at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Memorial Day weekend.It will be streamed live from Sunday, May 26th. With the Xbox race starting proceedings at 3:30 pm ET (8:30 pm UK) followed by the PlayStation race straight after. The second round of races will take place on Wednesday, May 29th.SEE ALSO: Sean Wilson – NASCAR esports – Turn left for esportsTim Clark, senior vice president and chief digital officer, NASCAR, had this to say: “The eNASCAR Heat Pro League is a result of incredible industry collaboration and a shared commitment to growing NASCAR through innovation. The esports community is massive, highly engaged and passionate, and our league presents an unparalleled opportunity to reach new and existing fans.”The race will be happening alongside the weekend’s festivities, with Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers Chase Elliott, Ryan Blaney and Bubba Wallace on-hand for the pre-race chat.Ed Martin, Managing Director of Esports, 704Games, added: “Players from across the country competed to be part of the eNASCAR Heat Pro League with the best of the best being chosen by teams to compete in the inaugural season back in March. “The 28 drafted drivers have spent weeks practising for what is sure to be a thrilling and dynamic season. When we started the NASCAR Heat franchise, we set out to capture the drama and excitement that unfolds in NASCAR every week and deliver that experience to gamers around the world. “The eNASCAR Heat Pro League is the next evolution of that mission, and we’re thrilled to bring competitive online console racing to a global esports platform in collaboration with NASCAR.”The first #eNASCARHeat Pro League race will take place this Sunday at @CLTMotorSpdwy! The green flag waves at 3:30PM ET and you can tune in live on Facebook & Twitch!— 704Games NASCAR Heat (@704NASCARHeat) May 20, 2019The event will be live-streamed on both Facebook and Twitch. The event will feature fourteen NASCAR teams, and 28 drivers compete across a variety of virtual tracks from the NASCAR circuit. The season follows on from the ‘Road to Miami‘ event which was held in November 2018.Esports Insider says: while not exactly a well-known event in Europe, NASCAR is a major part of the culture of North American sports. It’s also another major motor racing organisation making moves into esports with Formula 1 being another notable inclusion. Hosting the first race of the season alongside a major NASCAR race weekend, especially on such a poignant day in the USA is a smart move for this new esports league.Follow ESI on Instagram