LA County ordered to shut indoor dining for 3 weeks as Covid cases climb

first_imgShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink An illustration of Gov. Gavin Newsom (Credit: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)With coronavirus cases on the rise again, Gov. Gavin Newsom has ordered Los Angeles County to shut indoor dining at restaurants for three weeks, another blow to business owners following the recent reopenings.Newsom’s order on Wednesday took effect immediately and includes 19 counties throughout the state, according to the Los Angeles Times. The governor also ordered movie theaters to close, along with wineries, zoos and museums, all of which had been recently reopened.Restaurants will be restricted to takeout, delivery, and outdoor dining, according to Eater. Restaurants reopened for limited capacity indoor dining at the end of May, about a month ago. They were first ordered to close in mid-March in response to a spreading coronavirus.The move follows a similar directive in New York City on Wednesday, where officials slammed the brakes on a planned indoor dining reopening that had been only days away.ADVERTISEMENTRising cases of Covid-19 and hospitalizations in L.A. County are reversing what had been a steady pace of reopenings in L.A. County. Bars were open for just 10 days before Newsom ordered them to close again on Monday. That followed a county announcement that revealed about half of the bars and a third of restaurants had not been abiding by social distancing measures over the last several days. It also found that more than half the employees at bars and nearly that many at  restaurants were not wearing face masks, according to the Times.L.A. County officials also closed beaches for the Fourth of July weekend, which some had feared could bring a wave of infections.The L.A. County Department of Public Health reported 2,779 new cases of Covid-19 on Tuesday, making it the third straight day with more than 2,100 new cases reported. [LAT, Eater] — Dennis Lynch Share via Shortlinkcenter_img TagsCoronavirushospitalityRestaurantslast_img read more

Details

Scott, Vermont State Police condemn police brutality in death of George Floyd in Minneapolis

first_imgVermont Business Magazine The members of the Vermont State Police and Department of Public Safety Commissioner Michael Schirling said in a statement Friday afternoon that they unequivocally condemn the actions of police officers in Minneapolis that led to the death of George Floyd.“What I have seen on video from the mishandled attempt to arrest George Floyd is beyond disturbing,” said Col. Matthew T. Birmingham, director of the Vermont State Police. “This kind of conduct has no place in policing. It goes against everything we are taught from our earliest days in training academies. It goes against our mission to protect and serve the public. It goes against our oath and our badge. It goes against human decency.”In Vermont, the state police is committed to fair and impartial policing and has developed and implemented a comprehensive program to ensure equitable, just policing practices at all levels of the agency. These efforts include building relationships of trust with communities of color and other minority communities, diversifying our workforce and improving our cultural awareness as the state of Vermont continues to grow more diverse.The Vermont State Police also trains to de-escalate all potential confrontations, use the least amount of force required when absolutely necessary, and render aid quickly to anyone in medical distress.Additionally, state police leadership is explicitly clear that no law enforcement officer should ever stand idly by in the face of violence, misconduct or other inappropriate actions from their peers.“Mr. Floyd’s death is a heartbreaking tragedy. My heart goes out to his family and the Minneapolis community, which is suffering greatly right now,” Governor Phil Scott said. “I join the Vermont State Police in their condemnation of the officers’ actions, and I appreciate that they’ve called attention to it, as well as their commitment to serving and protecting all Vermonters. I hope to see justice served and that we can move toward healing as a nation.”The Vermont State Police is in the process of reviewing all policies and training procedures regarding use of force to ensure they are in line with best practices and account for the safety and well-being of the public and of the police.“The public has every right to expect that the police will treat them with fairness, with respect, with compassion,” said Capt. Garry Scott, the Vermont State Police’s director of fair and impartial policing and community affairs. “We have worked for years to forge relationships of trust with all communities we serve. We do this through openness and robust examinations of our data and our practices; by developing and implementing strong training programs to address bias in policing; and by ensuring continual, ongoing, honest communications. The public needs to know we stand with them.”The members of the Vermont State Police send their deepest condolences the family, loved ones and friends of George Floyd and to people everywhere who are aggrieved by his death.Source: WATERBURY, Vt. (Friday, May 29, 2020) — Vermont State Policelast_img read more

Details

Where should the government spend to drive growth?

first_imgTo continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our communitylast_img read more

Details

Senegal’s Sadio Mane named Premier League Player of November

first_imgSadio Mane named in PFA Team of the Year Sadio Mane shoots Liverpool to the top of the Premier League Sadio Mane sets eyes on Premier League glory after Champions League triumphcenter_img Liverpool and Senegal forward Sadio Mane poses with his award after he was named Premier League Player of the Month for November. COURTESY: TWITTER/EA SportsLiverpool’s Senegalese forward Sadio Mane was on Friday named Premier League Player of the Month for November.Mane was instrumental in helping Liverpool maintain its unbeaten run in the league contributing three goals and an assist in four games during that period.Mane’s goal and assist saw Liverpool come from behind to edge Aston Villa 2-1 at the start of the month. He then scored the third goal in a 3-1 win against Manchester City eight days later and opened the scoring against Crystal Palace in a 2-1 away win.Reds manager Jürgen Klopp also claimed the Manager of the Month award.Liverpool won all four games during the month defeating Aston Villa, defending champions Manchester City, Crystal Palace and Brighton. The Premier League leaders, who are eight points clear of Leicester in second, scored nine goals and conceded four.The defending European champions also announced that the 52-year-old had agreed a contract extension with the club until 2024.Liverpool is next in action at home on Saturday against Watford, who is at the bottom of the league.Relatedlast_img read more

Details

BMW Motorrad sold over 175,000 bikes in 2019

first_imgBMW Motorrad recorded yet another stunning annual sales figure back in 2019 when they managed to deliver a total of 175,162 bikes to customers around the globe. That’s a slight 5.8% increase compared to the previous year where BMW registered 165,566 units in 2018.According to Dr. Markus Schramm, Head of BMW Motorrad, “2019 was another very successful year for BMW Motorrad in spite of a number of challenges. We achieved a sales record for the ninth time in succession. I would like to thank our customers all over the world most sincerely for the great trust they have placed in us again in 2019.”“The 2019 sales figures clearly show that our motorcycle growth strategy is taking effect. This success was achieved due to the market launch of seven new models as well as the powerful BMW Motorrad product portfolio. We will expand our product range with emotional and innovative new products in 2020, too. We have already given a preview of our highly anticipated BMW R 18 in 2019.”BMW Motorrad did especially well for the range-topping adventure models, the R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure as well as the R 1250 GS and R 1250 GS Adventure. They’ve recorded a staggering 59,000 units+ registered around the globe and it’s partly because of all the new tech featured on the bikes, like the ShiftCam Boxer engine.Their portfolio for bikes below 500cc was also well received with over 20,000 units of the G 310 R and G 310 GS sold worldwide. Their mid-range models like F 750 GS and F 850 GS also saw strong popularity with over 29,000 units sold.The figures for their 1,000cc range like the 2019 BMW S 1000 RR were not publicly released but we’re pretty sure that they did massively well thanks to all the updates and strong competition in WorldSBK and so on. 2020 looks to be their toughest yet to follow considering the amount of success they’ve had in the past few years.Carbon fibre frame – the future of BMW Motorrad?–Ads–last_img read more

Details

Three Argos Named All-GSC

first_imgToney also proved to be one of the best defenders in the conference, finishing the regular-season with a .989 fielding percentage and playing a part in nine double plays, both of which rank in the top 10 in the league. #ARGOS#Print Friendly Version She also contributed offensively, with a team-high six home runs and a .574 slugging percentage. Chapman finished in the top three on the team in batting average (.347), RBIs (33) and on-base percentage (.431). She was twice named the GSC Pitcher of the Week, on March 1 and April 19. BIRMINGHAM, Fla. – Three University of West Florida softball players were named All-Gulf South Conference honorees on Tuesday for their play in the 2016 regular season. Senior pitcher Kalyn Chapman, sophomore second baseman Meghan Toney and freshman third baseman Rhiannon Sassman were all named to the conference’s second team. West Florida faces Shorter on Thursday at 10 a.m. in the first round of the GSC Tournament, hosted by North Alabama. Chapman was the lone player in the conference to be named twice, earning honors for her pitching and her offense. The senior ranked in the top five in the GSC in wins (19), opponent batting average (.208), innings pitched (148.1), and strikeouts (153), while finishing with a 2.27 ERA. Her .208 opponent batting average is the lowest for a UWF pitcher since Jillian Lafrance matched that number in 2009. Chapman’s season was highlighted by four one-hitters, including a shutout against then-No. 18 Valdosta State in which she struck out 10 batters. Sassman’s RBI total is the highest in a single season for a UWF player since 2010, as are her 90 total bases. Her six triples are the most for UWF since 2002, and her .350 batting average is the highest ever for a UWF freshman. Sassman concluded her first 50 games as one of the best freshmen in the conference, leading UWF in hits (55), doubles (14), triples (6), RBIs (45) and total bases (90). She was the only player to be named GSC Player of the Week twice (February 16 and April 12), and on February 16 she became the first player to win GSC Player of the Week and Freshman of the Week awards in the same week in conference history. Toney earned the first all-conference nod of her career after hitting .331, starting all 50 games at second base for UWF and leading all GSC second basemen with 10 doubles and 49 runs scored. She picked up 15 multi-hit games, reached base in 44 of her 50 games and stole 9 bases in 10 attempts on the year, giving her 17 career steals in 18 tries.last_img read more

Details

Veteran Suzuki ends title drought

first_img IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 The 43 year-old’s eighth career win netted him ¥30 million in prize money from the ¥150 million purse.“It was a long day today. I thought I played well under pressure,” said Suzuki.“I thought I would cry if I won but I can’t. Maybe that is a sign that I have not suffered enough hardship,” he joked.Teenage star Ryo Ishikawa, last year’s ABC winner, could only muster a 73 and finished eight shots behind Suzuki in a tie for sixth with Kazuhiro Yamashita (69). GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMEScenter_img KATO, Hyogo Pref. – Tour veteran Toru Suzuki ended a five-year title drought on Sunday with a commanding five-shot victory at the Mynavi ABC Championship.Suzuki, who began the day with a five-stroke cushion, mixed four birdies with three bogeys in a 1-under 71 at ABC Golf Club to claim his first win since the 2004 Acom International on 14-under 274.last_img read more

Details