RelatedWoman faces 9 charges in Spring Break hit-and-runBy DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press [email protected] A grand jury has returned a 9-count indictment against a Sugarland woman accused in a fatal hit-and-run that happened on South Padre Island during Spring Break Texas Week earlier this year. Daisy Joy Decker, 21, is charged with one count of manslaughter, one…November 23, 2017In “News”Port Isabel woman sentenced to 13 yearsBy DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press [email protected] A Port Isabel woman was sentenced to 13 years in state jail after a jury found her guilty on charges of engaging in organized criminal activity and the manufacture and delivery of a controlled substance. The guilty verdict on all six counts was…March 10, 2017In “News”Rangers investigating death of kayakerBy DINA ARÉVALO Port Isabel-South Padre Press [email protected] The Texas Rangers have been called in to investigate the death of a woman who had been kayaking in the Gulf of Mexico north of County Beach Access 6 last week. The woman has since been identified as 57-year-old Ann Moffatt, of Colorado,…September 28, 2018In “News” Share By DINA ARÉVALOPort Isabel-South Padre [email protected] week authorities arrested Jeffrey Wayne Henry in Brownsville in connection with the decapitation death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab at a Schlitterbahn waterpark in Kansas in 2016.According to Cameron County inmate records, Henry is being held on one count of murder, 12 counts of aggravated battery and five counts of aggravated endangerment of a child. Henry was denied bond by Judge Louis Sorola during an arraignment earlier this week. Henry also waived extradition, according to a spokesperson for the Cameron County District Attorney’s Office.Henry had nothing to say at the arraignment, the spokesperson said, before deferring any other questions about the case to the Kansas State Attorney General’s Office.Want the whole story? Pick up a copy of the Port Isabel-South Padre Press, or subscribe to our E-Edition by clicking here.
Ahead of the new basketball season, the Nigeria Basketball Federation has called on interested individuals and corporate entities to apply for slots in the Zenith Bank sponsored Women’s Basketball League.Rising from its board meeting held in Lagos on Monday, the federation said that in line with the mission statement of the federation, interested teams are encouraged to register their teams ahead of the 2019 season.The NBBF President, Engr Musa Kida said “For us, we are looking to expand and make sure we accommodate as many teams as possible”.With the NBBF Secretariat currently attending to numerous applications and interest letters, Kida said the process for the final selections will be free and fair to all.“I am quite happy with what I see in terms of response and I just want everybody to be rest assured that anybody who expresses interest will surely be considered and given a chance to participate. The smallest women’s team that can express interest in participating in the league will be given the chance”, Kida assured.Knowing fully well that there is a risk of over subscription following the continued growth of basketball in Nigeria, the NBBF board said it is ready to consider and accommodate all genuine clubs.“If we have an over subscription, we are ready to consider everybody in a way that they will participate and after we would have the numbers of teams that we require for the league.”The Zenith Women’s Basketball League will tip off on the 1st of July, 2019.Related